Payment Services Austria (PSA) card complete Service Bank AG (owned by: UniCredit, RBI)
Domestic Card Brand
None (Maestro is used as debit card brand, since 1998).
Phase-out of electronic purse Quick by end of July 2017.
Most bank cards are debit cards; most credit cards are charge cards. Maestro debit card use is the fastest growing market segment.
The Austrian banks sold PayLife Bank to the Swiss SIX Group. In September 2015, PayLife Bank was rebranded as SIX Payment Services Austria.
Bank Austria, Erste Bank and Raiffeisen, the major Austrian bank players, have built up large banking networks in the CEE/CIS region.
In 2016, the responsibility of the UniCredit CEE/CIS banking network was transferred from Bank Austria to UniCredit Group (I).
In 2015, significant restructuring process in the Volksbank sector.
In 2017, merger of RBI and RZB in the Raiffeisen sector.
Notable Market Trends
MPOS terminals, HCE NFC payment pilots, Mobile Maestro,
Omni-channel, Open Banking, Open API, immediate payments
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017