Samsung has celebrated the third anniversary of its mobile payment platform, Samsung Pay. Originally launched in South Korea on August 20, 2015, Samsung Pay has experienced significant global growth and is now available on six continents and 24 markets, including the latest market, South Africa.
Thanks to the support and partnership of thousands of banks and countless networks, merchants and service providers across the globe, Samsung recently passed more than 1.3 billion transactions globally.
“Since we launched Samsung Pay three years ago, we have been dedicated to delivering a mobile wallet platform that is simple, secure and works almost anywhere. We have been expanding its availability and forming strategic partnerships in each market to meet the unique needs of their users,” comments DJ Koh, President and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics.
“And we’re not limiting ourselves to a mobile wallet – by integrating with our other mobile services, consumers will be able to earn Samsung Rewards points, use Bixby for a more seamless payment experience and more.”
The growth of Samsung Pay highlights the company’s localised and open approach to mobile payments. With approximately 2,000 banking and financial partners globally, Samsung Pay offers value-added services based on local market needs, including:
- Online payments, now available in 15 markets, including Australia, Brazil, Switzerland and Taiwan
- Transit cards in 5 markets, including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and the U.K.
- Loyalty and membership cards in 20 markets, including Canada, France, Mexico and Sweden
- ATM transactions in 5 markets including Russia, South Korea, UAE, U.S. and Vietnam
- Samsung Rewards, offering points to purchase merchant partner vouchers and Samsung products and services, available in 10 markets, including India, Malaysia, Spain and the U.S.
- Pay Planner, helping users spend more wisely by tracking their transaction history and analysing their consumption pattern in South Korea and the UAE
- Bixby integration, allowing users to make purchases at popular merchants with one simple request.
The post Samsung Pay global expansion packs punch as it surges past 1.3 billion transactions appeared first on Payments Cards & Mobile.