A newer version of this product is available here
Payment System Regulator (PSR), since April 2015.
Pay.UK, the new payment system operator, since 2017.
UK Finance, the new UK banking industry association, since 2017.
LINK ATM scheme. Mastercard owns VocaLink, since 2017.
Domestic Card Brand
LINK, the ATM network brand.
Competitive card business infrastructure composed of more than 30 major issuers, 14 active acquirers, four card processors, around 150 PSPs, one ATM network (LINK), eight independent ATM service providers (ISOs), many payment institutions and e-money institutions. In 2018, 70.3% of card payments were contactless.
In 2004, expenditure on cards exceeded expenditure on cash; UK was the first major economy in the world to break this barrier.
In contrast to continental Europe, credit cards are a main source of consumer finance. Because UK consumers in general are overstretched, credit card borrowing has been static, since 2004.
UK regulators focus on governance of the payments industry and trusted payment providers in an Open Banking ecosystem.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem
Notable Market Trends
HCE NFC payments, MPOS terminals, QR-code/BLE payments, digital wallets, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Android Pay, immediate payments, Faster Payments, mobile banking apps
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020