A newer version of this product can be found here
BKM is the interbank authorisation and switching centre.
Domestic Payment Brand
TROY cards co-badged Discover for international use.
In 2016, Turkey’s first domestic card scheme, TROY, went live.
There were 1794.0 million cards by end-2017. Debit cards, accounting for 57.1% of cards in circulation, are mainly used for ATM access. Credit cards are used for purchases.
Cash advances on credit cards are a feature of the market.
Credit cards are a popular form of borrowing, with balances accounting for nearly 30% of total household borrowing.
Turkey was the first country in Europe to issue contactless cards. At end-2017, there were 41.5 million contactless cards and 872,100 contactless POS terminals (37.1%).
Turkey specific, there are credit card service platforms managed by the leading banks and open for other participating banks, including sharing of ATM/POS networks: World Card, Bonus, Maximum, Advantage and Axess.
Turkey is a self-styled laboratory and pilot country for innovative technologies: contactless, NFC, biometrics, wearables, touch-ID.
Several Turkish banks have formed strategic links with foreign groups, including UniCredit, ING, HSBC, BBVA, QNB, QCB.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout: cards, POS/MPOS terminals, TROY cards,
QR-Codes, HCE NFC payments, digital wallets, mobile banking apps, contactless ATMs, biometric ATMs; card-less ATMs
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 8th January 2019