BKM is the interbank authorization and switching centre.
Domestic Card Brand
In 2016, Turkey’s first domestic card scheme, Troy, went live.
There were 175.8 million cards by end-2016. Debit cards, accounting for 57.2% of cards in circulation, are mainly used for ATM access. Credit cards are used for purchases.
Cash advances on credit cards are a feature of the market.
Credit cards are a popular form of borrowing, with balances accounting for nearly 30% of total household borrowing.
Turkey was the first country in Europe to issue contactless cards. At end-2016, there were 29 million contactless cards and 587,000 contactless POS terminals.
Turkey specific, there are credit card service platforms managed by the leading banks and open for other participating banks, including sharing of ATM/POS networks: World Card, Bonus, Maximum, Advantage and Axess.
Turkey is a self-styled laboratory and pilot country for innovative technologies: contactless, NFC, biometrics, wearables, touch-ID.
Several Turkish banks have formed strategic links with foreign groups, including UniCredit, ING, HSBC, BBVA, QNB, QCB.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout: cards, POS/MPOS terminals, Troy cards;
QR-Codes, HCE NFC payments, digital wallets;
contactless ATMs, biometric ATMs; card-less ATMs.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017