BKM is the interbank authorization and switching centre.
Domestic Card Brand
Troy cards, from 2016.
- In 2016, Turkey launched its first domestic electronic card payment system, Troy.
- There were 170.6 million cards by end-2015. Debit cards, accounted for 65.9% of cards in circulation, are mainly used for ATM access. Credit cards are used for purchases.
- Cash advances on credit cards are a feature of the market.
- Credit cards are a popular form of borrowing, with balances accounting for nearly 30% of total household borrowing.
- Turkey was the first country in Europe to issue contactless cards. At end-2015, Turkey had 23 million contactless cards, 304,000 contactless POS terminals.
- Turkey specific, there are credit card service platforms managed by leading banks and open for other participating banks, including sharing of ATM/POS networks: World Card, Bonus, Maximum, Advantage and Axess.
- Turkey is a self-styled laboratory and pilot country for innovative technologies like contactless, NFC, biometrics, wearables, touch-ID.
- Several Turkish banks have formed strategic links with foreign groups, including GE, Citigroup, UniCredit, ING, HSBC, and BBVA.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards and POS/MPOS terminals, QR-Codes, wearables, Contactless ATMs, biometric ATMs, digital wallets, HCE NFC pilots.
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details