BDB Bankernas Depå.
Bankomat AB manages the Bankomat ATM network.
Getswish AB operates the immediate payment service, Swish.
Domestic Card Brand
Swedish debit cards are branded Mastercard, VISA, Debit Mastercard, Maestro, VISA Debit or Electron.
With 341.4 payments per capita, card use in Sweden is above the EU average, and it is the fourth highest card use level in Europe.
Sweden has a decentralised payment infrastructure with 15 major issuer banks, seven major acquirers, two major processors, two ATM networks, two POS networks, and more than 25 PSPs.
Swedish banks focus both on cards and account-based payment services, including mobile banking app payment services.
Nordea, Handelsbanken, SEB and Swedbank are the leading banking groups in the Nordic and Baltic regions.
Swedbank and NETS are among the 10 largest acquirers in Europe ranked by transaction numbers. Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards and POS/MPOS terminals, mobile apps,
digital wallets, Samsung Pay, immediate payments app Swish.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020