A newer version of this product is available here
SistemaPay, Euro 6000, Sistema 4B, ServiRed
Domestic Card Brand
Up to end-2017: Euro 6000, Sistema 4B, ServiRed; mostly co-badged Mastercard, Maestro, VISA, or Electron for international use.
From 2018: SistemaPay cards co-badged Mastercard, VISA, Debit Mastercard, or VISA Debit for international use.
Cards in issue had grown strongly to 79.2 million by end-2008, then falling to 68.0 million at end-2014, with CAGR of 3.19% to 2018.
Credit/delayed debit card market share is 31.51% (2018).
The POS and ATM acceptance infrastructures are one of the most extensive in Europe; multi-acquiring inflates terminal numbers.
From 2018, the merger of the three domestic card schemes enables simplifying the ATM/POS infrastructures at less cost.
Consolidation of the Spanish savings bank sector from 45 to 2 banks, and continued consolidation in the commercial bank sector.
Decentralised infrastructure, composed of 32 major issuer banks, 20 major acquirers, five processors, 30 PSPs, one ATM/POS network (SistemaPay), 48 payment institutions and nine e-money institutions, all resident in Spain.
Acquirer joint ventures between banks and international players.
Bank groups on European and global level: Banco Santander, BBVA.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
SistemaPay, HCE NFC payments, digital wallets, card-less ATMs, Immediate Payments, Bizum, Samsung Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020