A newer version of this product can be found here
Euro 6000, Sistema 4B, ServiRed
Domestic Payment Brands
Euro 6000, Sistema 4B, ServiRed; mostly co-badged Mastercard, Maestro, VISA, or Electron for international use New domestic card scheme, absorbs Euro6000, ServiRed and 4B.
Cards in issue had grown strongly to 79.2 million by end-2008, then falling to 68.0 million at end-2014, and recovering from 2015.
Credit/delayed debit card market share is 66.2% (2017).
The POS and ATM acceptance infrastructures are one of the most extensive in Europe; multi-acquiring inflates terminal numbers.
In 2018, the merger of the three domestic payment schemes will enable to simplify the ATM/POS infrastructures at less cost.
Consolidation of the Spanish savings bank sector from 45 to 2 banks, and continued consolidation in the commercial bank sector.
Decentralised infrastructure, composed of 34 major issuer banks, 20 major acquirers, five processors, 30 PSPs, three ATM/POS networks (Euro 6000, ServiRed, Sistema 4B), 43 payment institutions and six e-money institutions, all resident in Spain.
Acquirer joint ventures between banks and international players.
Banking groups on European level: Banco Santander, BBVA.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
HCE NFC payments, MyBank, digital wallets, card-less ATMs,
Immediate Payments, Bizum app, Samsung Pay, Apple Pay.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 8th January 2019