Euro 6000, Sistema 4B, ServiRed
Domestic Card Brand
Euro 6000, Sistema 4B, ServiRed; mostly co-badged MasterCard, Maestro, VISA, or Electron for international use
- Complex market structure, three domestic payment systems.
- The POS and ATM acceptance infrastructure is one of the most extensive in Europe; multi-acquiring inflates terminal numbers.
- Cards in issue had grown strongly to 79.2 million by end-2008, falling to 68.0 million at end-2014. However, cards in issue grew by 3.3% on 2014 for the first time, since 2008.
- Credit/delayed debit card market share is 64.3% (2015).
- Fast rollout of contactless cards and POS/MPOS terminals.
- Acquirer joint ventures between banks and international players.
- Consolidation of the Spanish savings bank sector from 45 to 12 banks, reflecting the unfavourable economic climate and the persistence of the euro zone’s problems.
- Decentralized infrastructure, composed of 30 major issuer banks, 20 major acquirers, five processors, 25 PSPs, three ATM/ POS networks (Euro 6000, ServiRed, Sistema 4B), 43 payment institutions and five e-money institutions, all resident in Spain.
- Banking groups on European level: Banco Santander, BBVA.
Notable Market Trends
- HCE NFC payments, MyBank, digital wallets, card-less ATMs; Immediate Payments, Bizum app; Samsung Pay, Apple Pay.
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details