Bankart is the processor of BA cards and Karanta cards.
Activa is processor of the Activa card scheme.
Domestic Card Brand
Activa cards are co-badged Maestro, Mastercard, VISA or Electron;
BA Maestro cards; Karanta cards co-badged Mastercard; there are also domestic-only cards with one of the three domestic brands.
Three domestic card schemes and a significant market share for non-bank issued payment cards (American Express, Diners, others).
Slovenia has the highest levels of card issuance and card use in central and eastern Europe.
Including American Express and Diners cards, there were 4.6 million debit and credit cards at end-2016, equivalent to 2.23 cards per capita, with 85.5 card payments per capita.
Pika private label cards are issued by Mercator, Slovenia’s biggest retail group.
In 2016, foreign ownership of Slovenian banks is lower (45%) and state ownership higher (50.3%) than in other CEE countries.
In 2016, privatisation of state-owned bank Nova KBM, and bank sector consolidation through mergers.
Notable Market Trends
Rollout of Contactless cards and POS terminals, MPOS terminals.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017