ZBK, the Slovak Bank Card Association.
Domestic Card Brand
Like other CEE markets, continued rapid growth of card use in Slovakia. By end-2019, the number of cards had reached 5.93 million and there are now 101.4 payments on cards per capita.
Cards issued are credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards. Most cards are contactless, and their use increased significantly in 2019.
Slovakia is one of the showcase markets for the adoption of contactless cards. 93.91% of all cards were contactless at end-2019.
ZBK manages the national ATM and POS network built out of the two ATM/POS networks of SLSP and First Data Slovakia.
The number of POS payments exceeded ATM withdrawals in 2007, though the value was much lower.
Slovenská Sporitelna (SLSP), VUB and Tatra Banka, the three largest banks, are owned respectively by Erste, Intesa Sanpaolo and Raiffeisen.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout, MPOS terminals, HCE NFC pilots, mobile banking apps, contactless ATMs, Apple Pay, Google Pay.
STATISTICAL KEY FIGURES FOR 2019 PROVIDED IN THIS PROFILE
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2015-2019; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
Version 1.1 - last updated Friday 15th January 2021