TransFonD (Societatea Nationala de Transfer de Fonduri si Decontari) is the interbank processor of the Romanian electronic payment system.
Domestic Card Brand
Cash remains the predominant payment instrument; credit transfers and cheques are used alongside debit cards, which were first issued in 1997. Debit cards are often used for cash withdrawals.
Total cards issued rose from 2.1 million in 2001 to 17.43 million in 2018, lifting penetration to 0.89 cards per capita. Rapid growth of card use.
The banking sector is foreign-dominated, with mainly western banks accounting for 77.0% of the total bank assets.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards and POS terminals, QR-codes, HCE NFC pilots, Mastercard MoneySend Service, M-Pesa mobile money transfer, tokenised payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020