SIBS – interbank organization, manages the Multibanco networks
Unicre – interbank organization, main acquirer, Unibanco issuer.
Domestic Card Brand
Multibanco (MB) cards, co-badged Maestro, Electron, Mastercard or VISA, MB Way wallet.
Unibanco credit cards co-badged VISA or Mastercard.
Portugal’s Multibanco ATM and POS network is one of the most advanced in the world with more than100 ATM service functions.
Card payments by number are 3.86-times higher than withdrawals.
Though domestic banks account for most of the retail banking market, Santander owns the fourth-biggest Portuguese bank.
The three largest banks control 55.4% of the total bank assets.
In 2017, Banco Santander Totta absorbed Banco Popular.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards, MPOS terminals, QR-codes, MB WAY app.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020