- SIBS – interbank organization, manages the Multibanco networks
- Unicre – interbank organization, main acquirer, Unibanco issuer.
Domestic Card Brand
Multibanco (MB) cards, co-badged Maestro, Electron, MasterCard or VISA; Unibanco credit cards co-badged VISA or MasterCard.
- Portugal’s Multibanco ATM and POS network is one of the most advanced in the world with more than100 ATM service functions.
- Card payments by number 3.1-times higher than withdrawals.
- Though domestic banks account for most of the retail banking market, Santander owns the fourth-biggest Portuguese bank.
- The three largest bank control 56.4% of the total bank assets.
- In 2015, Banco Santander Totta absorbed Banco Internacional do Funchal (BANIF).
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards, MPOS terminals, QR-codes, MB WAY app
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details