Polcard, the former interbank processor, has been a First Data subsidiary since 2007.
Domestic Card Brand
No domestic debit; no electronic purse.
- The number of debit cards has grown slowly in recent years, while credit cards reached a peak of 33% of the card total by end-2009, falling to 16.5% at end-2015.
- Card use at the POS has increased substantially. In 2009, there were more POS payments – taking all card types into account – than ATM withdrawals for the first time.
- Poland is one of the pioneers of contactless card payments. All banks issue contactless cards accounting for 76.7% of the cards total, and 55% of all card payments were contactless.
- 85.3% of all POS terminals installed were contactless as at end-2015.
- Online bank transfers are the preferred online-payment service.
- With nearly 7.47 million cards, PKO BP is the largest issuer and the biggest bank, followed by Bank Pekao and mBank.
- Capped domestic interchange fees include commercial cards.
- In 2015, launch of a domestic card payment gateway, Inkart.
Notable Market Trends
HCE NFC payments, digital wallets, DCVC cards; contactless ATMs, biometric ATMs; card-less payment services, e.g. BLIK; AndroidPay.
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details