Nordic processor NETS absorbed BBS in 2010.
VBB AS absorbed Vipps, BankID and BankAxept.
Domestic Card Brand
BankAxept debit cards; mostly co-badged VISA or Electron.
BankAxess is the domestic online bank transfer service for payments of purchases in online shops.
Vipps, the mobile payments app of the Norwegian banks
Cards with a debit function are predominant. The domestic BankAxept debit card system accounted for 67.88% of card transactions in Norway and abroad in 2018; including all debit cards, the proportion is 88.67%.
Credit cards continued to grow in the past five years.
Card use, already among the highest in Europe, hit 472.3 payments per capita including cashbacks (320.6 on BankAxept debit cards) in 2018.
The Norwegian banks joined DNB to make the mobile payment app, Vipps, the ‘only mobile wallet’ for Norwegian customers.
In June 2018, the merger of Vipps, BankAxept and BankID Norway was completed and approved by Norway’s regulator.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Mobile HCE NFC wallets, contactless BankAxept cards, Vipps, card-less payments, tokenisation security, biometric cards.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020