A newer version of this product is available here
Currence managed domestic payment products until end-2014
Betaalvereniging Nederland (Dutch Payments Association)
Domestic Card Brand
No domestic debit cards. PIN phased-out by end-2011.
E-purse Chipknip cards were phased-out by end-2014.
Debit cards, with 4.53 billion payments in 2018, dominate the market. All Dutch retail banks issue Maestro cards. In addition, De Volksbank issues V PAY cards.
Despite bank programmes, credit card use remains low.
Online bank transfer service iDEAL is an essential financial service in the Netherlands. It dominates online payments and mobile payments.
Card payments by number are 15.45 times higher than cash withdrawals on cards by number; the card payments value is 2.93 times higher than the withdrawals value on cards.
The Dutch card market has a decentralised infrastructure composed of 30 major issuer banks, 18 debit acquirers, three credit card acquirers, three processors, 35 PSPs, one ATM network, two POS networks and two resident EMIs licensed by DNB/AFM.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Roll-out of contactless cards/terminals, mobile banking apps,
Payconiq, mobile HCE NFC pilots, immediate payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020