- Currence managed domestic payment products until end-2014
- Betaalvereniging Nederland (Dutch Payments Association)
Domestic Card Brand
- No domestic debit cards. PIN phased-out by end-2011.
- E-purse Chipknip cards were phased-out by end-2014.
- Debit cards, with 3.32 billion payments in 2015, dominate the market. The Dutch banks issue Maestro cards. In addition, SNS Bank issues V PAY cards.
- Despite bank programmes, credit card use remains low.
- Online bank transfer service iDEAL is an essential financial service in the Netherlands. It dominates online payments and mobile payments on the internet.
- Card payments by number are 9.0-times higher than cash withdrawals by number; the card payments value is 2.3-times higher than the withdrawals value.
- The Dutch card market has a decentralized infrastructure composed of 30 major issuer banks, 18 debit acquirers, and three credit card acquirers, three processors, 25 PSPs, one ATM network, two POS networks and two resident EMIs licensed by DNB/AFM.
Notable Market Trends
- Roll-out of contactless cards/terminals; MPOS terminals;
- Mobile HCE NFC pilots; immediate payments plan.
Updated Information About:
Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.2(120117) last updated 12th January 2017