A newer version of this product can be found here
Domestic Card Brand
- The Moldovan retail banks issue cards with one of the MasterCard or VISA brands.
- While ATM transactions are the dominant form of card use, POS payments are growing fast, showing a CAGR of 39.5% between 2010 and 2015. Over the same period, ATM withdrawals grew by CAGR 6.3%.
- Card use in Moldova is still one of the lowest in the world. In 2015, there were 2.5 card payments per capita.
- Cash is the dominant means of exchange, with credit transfers for corporate payments. Direct debits were launched in 2003.
- In 2015, NBM withdrew the license for financial activities of three banks and initiated the process of their forced liquidation.
- In June 2014, Moldova and the EU signed a formal association agreement with the objective of postponed EU membership.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards and POS terminals; 3D Secure technology with a dynamic single-use code.
Updated information about:
Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1(090117) last updated 9th January 2017