At present, there is no interbank organisation.
Domestic Card BranDS
One Maltese closed-loop mono-bank ATM/debit card brand:
Replacement of mono-bank cards in favour of international schemes VISA and Mastercard.
Maltese banks have arranged authorisation, clearing and settlement services directly with VISA and Mastercard.
After increasing annually by on average of 25% until 2008, the growth rate of card payments achieved 34.25% in 2019.
Cheque payments, which began to fall in 2008, were overtaken by card payments for the first time in 2010.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Rollout of contactless cards, mobile banking apps.
STATISTICAL KEY FIGURES FOR 2019 PROVIDED IN THIS PROFILE
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2015-2019; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
Version 1.1 - last updated Friday 15th January 2021