CETREL, the former central body of the card payments market, was rebranded as SIX Payment Services S.A.
Domestic Card Brand
- The banks in Luxembourg opted for V PAY as debit card brand.
- CETREL manages the Bancomat POS and ATM infrastructure, acts as acquirer, and offers card processing and issuer services to issuers in Luxembourg and in Europe.
- Card use at the POS in Luxembourg is high. Because of Luxembourg’s location and financial services-based economy, a high proportion of transactions are by visitors.
- In 2007, PayPal became an e-money institution licensed by CSSF of Luxembourg, but now owns a bank licence.
Notable Market Trends
- Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals;
- Card-less e-/m-payments (Mybank, Digicash); card-less ATMs.
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details