A newer version of this product is available here
Bancomat S.p.A. – oversees the Bancomat and PagoBancomat systems. ICBPI, the former body of the Banche Popolare sector. In 2015, ICBPI was sold to Mercury UK Holdco and became rebranded NEXI.
SIA – former interbank processors and CSM mechanism.
Domestic Payment Brands
PagoBancomat, co-badged Maestro, VISA Debit or V PAY
ATM: Bancomat, Postamat, co-badged Maestro or Mastercard.
Credit: CartaSi, co-badged Mastercard or VISA.
Bancomat Pay app, Jiffy immediate payments app.
Bancomat/PagoBancomat is the domestic debit card network.
Bancomat S.p.A. launched Bancomat Pay based on instant payment app Jiffy.
Italy is the leading European prepaid card market.
The card market has a decentralised infrastructure composed of more than 30 major issuers, ten major acquirers, five card processors, 40 PSPs, two ATM networks (Bancomat, Postamat), and seven e-money institutions resident in Italy.
The consolidation of the Italian banking sector continues.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem. Rising consumer credit.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout, QR-code payment apps, ‘Giant Pays’,
HCE NFC payments, biometric pilot, Jiffy, immediate payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020