A newer version of this product can be found here
- Consorzio Bancomat – oversees the Bancomat and PagoBancomat systems.
- ICBPI Group, the former body of the Banche Popolare sector, owns CartaSi. In 2015, ICBPI was sold to private equity firms.
- SIA – former interbank processors and CSM mechanism.
Domestic Card Brand
- Debit: PagoBancomat, co-badged Maestro, Electron or V PAY
- ATM: Bancomat, Postamat, co-badged Maestro or MasterCard.
- Credit: CartaSi, co-badged MasterCard or VISA
- Bancomat/PagoBancomat is the domestic debit card network, while CartaSi is the main credit card grouping.
- Italy is the leading European prepaid card market.
- From 2008 to 2012, the interbank organizations and the governance model of the Italian payment industry have been reshaped in order to strengthen the Italian payment market.
- The Italian banks have divested from SIA in 2013 and from ICBPI and CartaSi in 2015.
- The card market has a decentralized infrastructure composed of more than 30 major issuers, ten major acquirers, five card processors, 35 PSPs, two ATM networks (Bancomat, Postamat), and four e-money institutions resident in Italy.
Notable Market Trends
- Rollout of contactless cards; QR-codes, display cards;
- HCE NFC payments, biometric pilot; Jiffy, immediate payments.
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details