A newer version of this product is available here
SIA Central Europe (formerly interbank organisation GIRO Bankcard Company (GBC)).
Domestic Card Brand
Debit cards account for 86.1% of the payment card base. Rapid growth of card use. 79.12% of all cards are contactless.
In September 2016, the number of contactless card payments exceeded that of traditional card payments for the first time.
In 2013, the government implemented a transaction tax, which is also applicable on card payments and cash withdrawals.
OTP, the former state savings bank, dominates the banking sector and is the largest card issuer.
Decentralised card business infrastructure with 26 issuers, seven major acquirers, four processors, three major ATM networks and six POS networks.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem. Market consolidation.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards and POS terminals, HCE NFC pilots, QR-codes, Alipay, mobile banking apps
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020