SIA Central Europe (formerly interbank organization GIRO Bankcard Company (GBC)).
Domestic Card Brand
- Debit cards account for 84.3% of the national payment card base. Rapid growth of card use. 53.6% of all cards are contactless.
- Nearly all cards are branded MasterCard, Maestro, VISA or Electron. Additionally: American Express and Diners cards are present.
- In September 2016, the number of in-store payments with contactless cards exceeded that of traditional card transactions for the first time.
- In 2013, the government implemented a transaction tax, which is also applicable on card payments and cash withdrawals.
- OTP, the former state savings bank, dominates the banking sector and is the largest card issuer.
- Decentralized card business infrastructure with 26 issuers, seven major acquirers, four processors, three major ATM networks and six POS networks.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless cards and POS terminals, NFC pilots, QR-Codes
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details