German Banking Industry Committee (GBIC) is the umbrella organisation of the German banks regarding payment services.
Domestic Card Brands
girocard debit cards; co-badged Maestro, V PAY, Debit Mastercard, VISA Debit, Cirrus, or Plus. E-purse GeldKarte.
Decentralised infrastructure composed of more than 30 issuers, 15 active acquirers, eight card processors, 20 German specific POS network processors and four ATM networks.
girocard debit acceptance is separate from credit card acquiring. In 2020, 50% of all girocard payments were contactless.
German girocard debit cards compete with card-initiated ELV direct debits accepted by many retailers and at petrol stations.
Use of credit cards and delayed debit cards in Germany is low compared with debit cards.
Digital challenger banks include N26, Fidor Bank, SolarisBank, and O2 Banking of mobile operator Telefónica.
Emerging Open Banking payment ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Switch to contactless card use, SmartPOS terminals,
Debit Mastercard/VISA Debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay,
mobile girocard payments, cash-advance at POS terminals.
STATISTICAL KEY FIGURES FOR 2019 PROVIDED IN THIS PROFILE
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2015-2019; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
Version 1.2 - last updated Friday 15th January 2021