German Banking Industry Committee (GBIC) is the umbrella organisation of the German banks regarding payment services.
Domestic Payment Brand
girocard debit cards; mostly co-badged Maestro, V PAY, Cirrus, Plus or (few) JCB. Electronic purse GeldKarte.
Decentralised infrastructure composed of more than 30 issuers, 16 active acquirers, eight card processors, 19 German specific POS network processors and four ATM networks.
girocard debit acceptance is separate from credit card acquiring.
German girocard debit cards compete with card-initiated ELV direct debits accepted by many retailers and at petrol stations.
Use of credit cards and delayed debit cards in Germany is low compared with debit cards.
In June 2014, six German banking associations built a new joint venture for online direct debit payments, paydirekt.
Digital-only challenger banks include N26, Fidor Bank, SolarisBank, and O2 Banking of mobile operator Telefónica.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout: girocard cards, POS terminals, paydirekt,
Debit Mastercard cards, Payback Pay, mobile banking apps,
Apple Pay, Google Pay, Open APIs, immediate payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 8th January 2019