DOMESTIC CARD BRAND
PAY debit cards.
Cards per capita reached 1.81 in 2019, a 9.80% decline on 2018.
Cards issued have more than doubled since the 2008 Russian incursion.
POS payments to merchants are much higher than the norm for emerging payment markets.
All Georgian banks are privately-owned. Foreign capital plays an important role, accounting for 93.3% of banking sector assets.
Until end-2016, Société Générale, through Bank Republic, was the main western bank investor. Banks from Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and China are present in Georgia.
In June 2014, Georgia and the EU signed a formal association agreement with the objective of later EU membership.
NOTABLE MARKET TRENDS
Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals; HCE NFC pilot; express branches, government anti-fraud initiatives; launch of Apple Pay; high proportion of digital and contactless transactions
STATISTICAL KEY FIGURES FOR 2019 PROVIDED IN THIS PROFILE
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2015-2019; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
Version 1.1 - last updated Friday 15th January 2021