Domestic Card Brand
Cards per capita reached 2.50 in 2016, a 14.7% increase on 2015.
Cards issued have tripled since the 2008 Russian incursion.
POS payments to merchants are much higher than the norm for emerging payment markets.
All Georgian banks are privately-owned. Foreign capital plays an important role, accounting for 87.5% of banking sector assets.
Until end-2016, Société Générale, through Bank Republic, was the main western bank investor. Banks from Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and China are present in Georgia.
In June 2014, Georgia and the EU signed a formal association agreement with the objective of later EU membership.
Notable Market Trends
Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals; HCE NFC pilot; domestic PAY chip cards; express branches.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017