A newer version of this product can be found here
Domestic Card Brand
PAY debit cards.
- Cards per capita reached 2.18 in 2015, a 5.2% increase on 2014. Cards issued have doubled since the 2008 Russian incursion.
- POS payments to merchants are much higher than the norm for emerging payment markets.
- All Georgian banks are privately-owned. Foreign capital plays an important role, accounting for 94.7% of banking sector assets.
- Until end-2016, Société Générale, through Bank Republic, is the main western bank investor. Banks from Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and China are also present.
- In June 2014, Georgia and the EU signed a formal association agreement with the objective of later EU membership.
Notable Market Trends
- Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals; HCE NFC pilot;
- domestic PAY chip cards; express branches
Updated information about:
Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1(090117) last updated 9th January 2017