A newer version of this product is available here
None (Pankade Kaardikeskus (PKK) became NETS Estonia).
Domestic Card Brand
No domestic card schemes.
Estonia is the most developed digital market in the Baltic region.
Mastercard cards replaced most of the VISA cards.
There were 1.43 cards per capita in 2018 and 258.0 card payments per capita, of which 234.7 were by debit cards.
83.5% of cards are debit cards; however, banks need to consolidate credit cards, as 31.5% are inactive.
The Estonian card market has a competitive, decentralised infrastructure composed of nine major issuers, five major acquirers, card processors and four major ATM/POS networks.
Swedbank and SEB Pank dominate the Estonian banking sector
Two new merged bank operations: Coop Pank, Luminor Bank.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem. Money laundering issues.
Notable Market Trends
Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals; MPOS terminals.
Statistical Key Figures for 2018 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2014-2018; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1 last updated 13th January 2020