A newer version of this product can be found here
EGCP, formerly the Croatian interbank processor MBU, is the shared group card processor of Erste Group (A).
Domestic Payment Brand
MBCARD debit cards, mostly co-badged Maestro.
Croatia is a showcase market for American Express through its agreement with PBZ, which has issued over 500,000 Amex cards. Erste Bank acquired the rival Diners Club Adriatic in 2007.
There were 9.0 million Croatian cards at end-2017, equivalent to 2.18 cards per capita, one of the highest levels in CEE markets.
All the major banks are owned by western banks. The heavily regulated Croatian banking sector faces consolidation pressure.
In 2016, Intesa SanPaolo Group (I) sold processor ISP Card to private equity investors Advent International and Bain Capital. In 2018, former ISP Card became part of NETS Group (DK).
Emerging Open banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout: cards; POS/MPOS terminals, HCE NFC pilots, Google Pay, mobile banking apps.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details