Domestic Card Brand
- Bancontact (formerly BC/MC), most cards co-badged Maestro.
- E-purse Proton cards were phased-out by end of February 2015.
- In April 2016, the domestic debit card scheme BC/MC (Bancontact/ MisterCash) was rebranded as Bancontact.
- Debit cards dominate the market, accounting for 86.9% of card payments in 2015. Credit card use is under-developed.
- From 2011, most Belgian banks restrict the use of the Maestro function on Bancontact cards to Europe (geo-blocking).
- From 2014, Beobank is the owner of Diners Club Benelux.
- KBC has developed a substantial retail banking network in Russia and the CEE region, but made divestments in 2011-13.
- Belfius Bank (previously Dexia Bank) is state-owned.
Notable Market Trends
- Contactless card rollout includes Bancontact cards;
- SIXDOT wallet, Mybank, MasterPass, HCE NFC pilot
Updated Information About:Major Issuers, Major Acquirers, Major Processors and Consumer Finance indicator.
Statistical Key Figures for 2015 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2011-2015; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.1(090117) last updated 9th January 2017