Bancomat S.p.A. – oversees the Bancomat and PagoBancomat systems.
ICBPI Group, the former body of the Banche Popolare sector, owns CartaSi. In 2015, ICBPI was sold to Mercury Group.
SIA – former interbank processors and CSM mechanism.
Domestic Card Brand
PagoBancomat, co-badged Maestro, VISA Debit or V PAY
ATM: Bancomat, Postamat, co-badged Maestro or Mastercard.
Credit: CartaSi, co-badged Mastercard or VISA
Bancomat/PagoBancomat is the domestic debit card network, while CartaSi is the main credit card grouping.
Italy is the leading European prepaid card market.
From 2008 to 2012, the interbank organizations and the governance model of the Italian payment industry had been reshaped in order to strengthen the Italian payment market.
The Italian banks divested from interbank associations (SIA, ICBPI) and from acquirers and card processors.
The card market has a decentralized infrastructure composed of more than 30 major issuers, ten major acquirers, five card processors, 35 PSPs, two ATM networks (Bancomat, Postamat), and four e-money institutions resident in Italy.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout; QR-code payment apps, Apple Pay; HCE NFC payments, biometric pilot; Jiffy, immediate payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017