Banking and Payments Federation Ireland (BPFI).
Domestic Card Brand
Historically a credit card market, debit card use has grown through the domestic Laser debit card scheme. In 2019, more than 41% of card payments by volume were contactless.
Irish banks replaced domestic Laser cards mainly with VISA Debit cards (also: Debit Mastercard cards).
Card issuance and acquiring is dominated by the two large Irish banking groups, Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Banks (AIB).
The Irish are among the heaviest users of cash and cheques in Europe. Stamp duty on debit and credit cards has held back the development of the card market.
Ireland intends to be leading FinTech hub in Europe.
Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout, cards, POS terminals, QR-codes, MasterPass, VISA Checkout, Google Pay, Apple Pay.
STATISTICAL KEY FIGURES FOR 2019 PROVIDED IN THIS PROFILE
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2015-2019; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
Version 1.1 - last updated Friday 15th January 2021