None (Pankade Kaardikeskus (PKK) became NETS Estonia).
Domestic Card Brand
No domestic card schemes.
Estonia is the most developed digital market in the Baltic region.
The Estonian card market has a competitive, decentralized infrastructure composed of seven major issuers, five major acquirers, card processors and four major ATM/POS networks.
There were 1.40 cards per capita in 2016 and 217.2 card payments per capita, of which 197.5 were by debit cards.
81.2% of cards are debit cards; however, banks need to consolidate credit cards, as nearly 33.1% are inactive.
Swedbank and SEB Pank dominate the Estonian banking sector
Two new merged bank operations: Coop Pank, Luminor Bank.
Notable Market Trends
Rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals; MPOS terminals.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017