Domestic Card Brand
Bancontact debit cards, mostly co-badged Maestro.
E-purse Proton cards, phased-out by end of February 2015.
In April 2016, the domestic card scheme Bancontact/MisterCash (BC/MC) was rebranded as Bancontact.
From 2011, most Belgian banks restrict the use of the Maestro function on Bancontact cards to Europe (geo-blocking).
Debit cards dominate the market, accounting for 84.7% of card payments in 2016. Credit card use is under-developed.
KBC Bank Group has developed a substantial retail banking network in the CEE region, but made divestments in 2011-13.
Belfius Bank (previously Dexia Bank) is state-owned.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless Bancontact rollout, mobile Bancontact app with HCE NFC, Payconiq, Mybank, MasterPass, HCE NFC payments.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017