Domestic Card Brand
The Moldovan retail banks issue cards with one of the Mastercard or VISA brands.
While ATM transactions are the dominant form of card use, POS payments are growing fast, showing a CAGR of 42.7% between 2011 and 2016. Over the same period, ATM withdrawals grew by CAGR 6.9%.
Card use in Moldova is still one of the lowest in the world. In 2016, there were 4.1 card payments per capita.
Cash is the dominant means of exchange, with credit transfers for corporate payments. Direct debits were launched in 2003.
In 2015, NBM withdrew the license for financial activities of three banks and initiated the process of their forced liquidation.
In June 2014, Moldova and the EU signed a formal association agreement with the objective of postponed EU membership.
Notable Market Trends
Rapid rollout of contactless cards and POS terminals;
3D-Secure combined with a dynamic single-use code.
Statistical Key Figures for 2016 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2012-2016; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.
1.0.0 last updated 2nd December 2017