Interbank Card Processing Centre (ICPC).
Domestic Card Brand
Though two banks issue proprietary local debit cards, nearly all cards are internationally-branded. Three banks issue UnionPay cards.
VISA predominates, with market share of 65.2%. Central bank figures show that 50.9% of cards in circulation are classed as active cards.
The five largest banks – Halyk Bank, Kazkommertsbank, Tsesnabank, Sberbank KZ and Forte Bank – accounted for 57.6% of banking sector assets as at December 2017.
Of the top 10 banks, Kaspi Bank and Sberbank are Russian-controlled.
Bank sector consolidation gained momentum in 2017: Halyk Bank acquired Kazkommertsbank, Tsesnabank acquired Bank CenterCredit. Bank RBK and Qazag Banki in talks about merger.
Following UniCredit’s disposal of ATF Bank in March 2013, there is no substantial western-owned retail bank in Kazakhstan.
Notable Market Trends
Contactless rollout, e-money, UnionPay cards, mobile banking apps.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
• UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
• Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
• Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
• Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
• ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
• ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
• POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
• Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
• Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
• Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
• Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details
Digital product provided in PDF format. You will receive a download link to a zip file containing your files after checkout.